Programs In PA For 1st Time Buyers
First time home buyers in Pennsylvania have many options available to them for help in purchasing their first residence. The Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency (PHFA) provides some very helpful programs for Pennsylvania residents seeking to purchase their first property.
Here are some highlights:
The Keystone Advantage Assistance Loan Program provides a second mortgage loan to help with the costs associated with the purchase of a home. Qualified borrowers can receive up to four percent (4%) of the purchase price or market value or $6,000 (whichever is less) in downpayment and closing cost assistance to be repaid monthly. The assistance loan will be amortized over a ten year term at zero percent (0%) interest.
The Keystone Advantage Assistance can be used in conjunction with the following PHFA first mortgage home purchase loan programs:
- HFA Preferred™(Lo MI),
- HFA Preferred Risk Sharing™(No MI),
- Keystone Government Loan, or
- Keystone Home loan (FHA, VA, or RD loan types only).
Buyers must meet the requirements of the applicable PHFA first mortgage program, and must also meet the requirements associated with the Keystone Advantage Program which are listed below:
- The Keystone Advantage Assistance requires all borrowers to have a minimum credit score of 660.
- Assistance can only be used for the minimum required downpayment and/or closing costs.
- The minimum loan amount is $500.
- Borrower(s) liquid assets may not be greater than $50,000 after deducting the funds needed to close on the loan. This includes cash and funds in checking and savings accounts, stocks, bonds, certificates of deposit and similar liquid accounts. Funds from retirement accounts such as 401(k)s, IRAs and pension funds will only be considered if they can be withdrawn without a penalty due to borrower meeting age requirement and/or being retired.
- The Keystone Advantage Assistance program may not be combined with any other PHFA assistance program, with the exception of the Access Modification Loan Program.
- Keystone Advantage Assistance loans may be used on Conventional, FHA, VA or RD loans. All applicable FHA, VA or RD loan underwriting requirements apply, including loan to value and downpayment requirements.
For complete details on these programs, including contact information and instructions on how to apply, please visit this PHFA web page.
More Illinois First Time Buyer Programs
In addition to the above homebuyer programs offered by PHFA, there are local housing agencies in various towns, cities and counties throughout the state that provide financial assistance to 1st time property buyers as well. To determine if there any near you, please visit local first time home buyer programs in Pennsylvania.