Programs For 1st Time Buyers In ME
First time home buyers in Maine have many options available to them for help in purchasing their first residence. In addition to their down payment assistance program, the Maine State Housing Authority (MSHA) provides some other very helpful programs for Mainers seeking to purchase their first home.
Here are some highlights:
A First Home Loan from MaineHousing is the most affordable way to buy your first home or return to home ownership.
Our First Home Loan is available through our Green Key Lenders — banks, credit unions, and mortgage companies you already know.
Who’s eligible for a First Home Loan?
- Have never owned a home or have not owned a home in the past three years
- Meet income limits
- Meet home cost limits
- Qualify based on credit score and lender criteria
- Veterans & Active Duty Military, regardless of prior home ownership
How do I apply?
- Find a Green Key Lender near you to see if you qualify.
- A homebuyer education course is a great way to learn the ins and outs of borrowing and buying a new home, and is required if you use Advantage down payment and closing cost financing. Chose an option below to learn more about the classes available in your area.
- In-person hoMEworks class
- Online e-Home America class
For complete details on these programs, including contact information and instructions on how to apply, please visit this MSHA programs page.
More Maine First Time Buyer Programs
In addition to the above homebuyer programs offered by IHDA, there are local housing agencies in various towns, cities and counties throughout the state that provide financial assistance to 1st time property buyers as well. To determine if there any near you, please visit local first time home buyer programs in Maine.